NCHIP is an initiative of the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. The goal of the NCHIP is to ensure that timely and accurate records are available for use by law enforcement, including sex offender registry requirements, to protect public safety and national security. Funding received from NCHIP permits states to identify ineligible firearm purchasers; persons ineligible to hold positions involving children, the elderly, or the disabled; persons subject to protection orders or wanted, arrested, or convicted of stalking and/or domestic violence; persons ineligible to be employed or hold licenses for specified positions; and persons potentially presenting threats to public safety.
Accurate criminal history records describe an arrest and all subsequent actions concerning each criminal event that are positively identifiable to an individual. In addition to the uses cited above, such records enable criminal justice agencies to make decisions on pretrial release, career criminal charging, determinate sentencing, and correctional assignments; are critical to assist law enforcement in criminal investigations and decision making; and are required for background checks for national security, licensing, and related economic purposes, as required under current federal and state law.
Complete records require that data from all components of the criminal justice system, including law enforcement, prosecutors, courts and corrections, be integrated and linked. In furtherance of this NCHIP requirement, LCLE has coordinated the integration of the state
Component systems of the Louisiana ICJIS are:
- Computerized Criminal History (CCH)
- Sex Offender and Child Predator Registry (SOCPR)
- Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS)
- Case Management Information System (CMIS)
- Louisiana Protective Order Registry (LPOR)
- Corrections and Justice Unified Network (CAJUN)
- Juvenile Information Records Management System (JIRMS)
- Prosecutors Information Management System (PIMS)
- Louisiana Incident Based Reporting System (LIBRS)
- Louisiana Automated Victim Notification System (LAVNS)
LCLE NCHIP Administrators can be reached at 225.342.1500